Panic is the most frequently observed reaction of caregivers in a situation where the child's health or life is threatened, paramedic Adam Stępka told PAP. While there are first aid measures, parents are often unfamiliar with them or use questionable methods such as greasing burns.
"Only in 2020, as many as 4,246 interventions by Lodz paramedics concerned children. In the event of a threat to the health or life of the youngest, the most frequently observed reaction of caregivers is panic. Although it is hardly surprising, it is worth realizing that one of the reasons is the lack of first aid skills. "- Adam Stępka from the Provincial Medical Rescue Station in Łódź told PAP, advising how to help in the most frequent accidents involving children.
As explained by Stępka, the procedure for choking depends on the age of the child. If an infant is injured, place it on your hand along the forearm, bend it down on the knee and make five strokes between the shoulder blades. Leaning the baby's head on an outstretched arm is very important as all foreign bodies and liquids can be evacuated by gravity.
"After the blows between the shoulder blades, we transfer the child to the other hand, face up and give five chest compressions. Their task is to reduce the volume of the lungs and push the foreign body out. If the child continues to choke, repeat the entire procedure. the baby will become unconscious and flaccid, we must undertake standard CPR.
In older children, in school and pre-school age, the risk of choking is lower, because they are after the stage of sensory learning of the world, when all objects are put in the mouth. Food is choked most often. Then we kneel next to the child, lean it against our torso, bend our head forward and make five strokes between the shoulder blades. If this does not help, we continue to act differently from the infant. We embrace the baby with both hands and compress the epigastrium - from the navel towards the sternum. The purpose of this compression is to affect the diaphragm, reduce the volume of the lungs and push out the foreign body.
"It happens that panicked parents grab a child by the legs and, turning it upside down, try to + shake out + the object it chokes on it. However, this is not only ineffective, but can also, especially in younger children, lead to a very serious serious injuries to the hip and knee area "- noted the rescuer.
Children who start walking very often suffer from burns. According to the expert, in this case, the most important thing is prevention - most often such accidents happen at home, so if we are looking after a few-year-old child, we should take care not to put, for example, dishes with hot liquids within his reach.
When the burn occurs with boiling water, remove the wet clothes from the child as soon as possible - because it is still burning - and cool the burn. We do it with water at room temperature.
"We do not grease, we do not put the whole child in a bathtub with cold water, because it may additionally harm him. We know such cases from everyday work in the emergency room, e.g. after calling for a burned three-year-old, we find a baby smeared with butter from head to toe, because someone heard that burns should be lubricated with fat "- emphasized Stępka.
As he added, the rescue team must first protect the casualty from pain, so they administer painkillers as soon as possible. "Only when the child is put into a pharmacological coma, we can wash it and properly cover the burns with, for example, special hydrogels that cool and relieve pain. These types of agents are available in pharmacies and every parent should have them at home" - he explained.
In addition, it is worth providing the home first aid kit with basic knitted bandages, an elastic band, a disinfectant, e.g. hydrogen peroxide, but remember that we do not wash the wound with it, but only its edges. Children also often have diarrhea, so have an electrolyte kit as well as an age appropriate antipyretic and a good thermometer. In summer, bite gels and a tick extractor will come in handy.
"Most of the accidents of the youngest could be avoided if the caregivers were foresight. If a child begins to crawl, a table or a desk is not a good place to learn to walk. There are many cases when these little ones fall and suffer head injuries most often" - stressed Stępka.
In his opinion, parents know their children and know how they react, so they should not hesitate to call for help when their child's condition worsens, although in such cases as an exacerbation of an infection, they should rather go to a family doctor or night and holiday medical assistance. than to the emergency room.
"If there is a sudden deterioration of the child's condition, for example, severe shortness of breath, barking cough, injuries of all kinds and a fever that does not respond to medication, the call is always justified. Most young parents now live without experienced grandmothers, so there are times when we are summoned to trivial things, such as colic, a tick in a child, but there are also very serious cases, such as loss of consciousness, cardiac arrest, serious trauma. on the backyard trampoline, he did not shed a single tear "- stressed Stępka. (PAP)