Elbląg is one of the oldest Polish cities located at the mouth of the Elbląg River to the Vistula Lagoon. The town was granted city rights in 1246. Until the construction of the castle in Malbork and the transfer of the Grand Master's residence there in 1309 from Venice, Elbląg was the seat of the Grand Master of Prussia, and the annual national chapter of the Order met in the Elbląg Castle. From 1309, the Teutonic commander was in the office of the Elbląg castle, who was also a great hospitaller of the Order. The heyday of Elbląg falls at the end of the 13th and 14th centuries. Already in the 13th century, the city became a member of the Association of Hanseatic Cities in which it played an important role. Elbląg, however, had a less favorable location as a port than Gdańsk, and yet it became the main English trading post in the Baltic zone and passed through it until 1628,
The Old Town was almost completely destroyed during the Second World War. For several decades, however, it has been dynamically reviving, and in its area, objects referring to old buildings with a tasteful admixture of 21st century architecture are built. This is called retroversion. Not only charming tenement houses, but also stunning medieval monuments await tourists: Market Gate, Church Path, Art Center Galeria EL, which functions in the former Dominican church, and the Cathedral of St. Nicholas with the highest church tower on the right side of the Vistula (97 meters), from which there is a beautiful view of the panorama of the city and the surrounding area.
Archives of Tourist Information in Elbląg
The Elbląg Canal, a world-class monument of hydrotechnical art, begins in the heart of the Old Town. It is the only waterway in the world still operating with a system of slipways and locks, thanks to which ships overcome a nearly 100-meter difference in water levels over a distance of 10 km between Elbląg and Ostróda - www.zegluga.com.pl
Archaeological research is still carried out in Elbląg, which systematically brings new discoveries and provides interesting exhibits. The collected collections can be admired in the Archaeological and Historical Museum, located near the outer ward of the former Teutonic castle.
Elbląg is not only old town buildings, it is a place where everyone will find something interesting. Zygmunt August Boulevard, the mountain city park Bażantarnia, as well as numerous parks effectively attract lovers of nature, photography and sports, and for enthusiasts of sky fun, the Elbląg Aero Club offers its services throughout the summer. The evidence of the attractive location of Elbląg is the fact that many tourist routes intersect here: bicycle, pedestrian, water and car routes, including The Green Velo Eastern Bicycle Trail, the R1 International Bicycle Trail, the Copernicus trail, the Pomeranian St. James, the Mennonite trail, the Elbląg Canal Trail, the Żuławska Loop, or the International Waterway E70.
7 attractions in Elbląg
- Market Gate
- Former Mennonite Prayer House
- Former grain exchange building, now Specjal Pub
- Archaeological and Historical Museum
- St. Nicholas
- Tenement houses on ul. St. Spirit
- Church path
7 hotels in Elbląg
- Hotel Elbląg ****
- Hotel Młyn ****
- Hotel pod Lwem***
- Manor Bieland ***
- Villa Beautiful View
- Dom pod Cisem hostel
7 restaurants in Elbląg
- Dom Królów **** Restaurant
- Old Tavern Restaurant
- Chicago restaurant
- Elbląg restaurant
- Pizzeria Strzecha restaurant
- Propaganda Restaurant
- Bistro Wiarus
After exploring Elbląg and the surrounding area all day, the city offers an exciting mix of art and entertainment. The Old Town Hall located in Stary Runek will provide a rich dose of impressions, offering visitors numerous exhibitions of various genres of art or concerts of the Elbląg Chamber Orchestra, one of the most dynamically developing orchestras in Poland. In the Old Town of Elbląg you will also find a number of atmospheric pubs, clubs and restaurants where you can taste Polish specialties as well as international cuisine.
Contemporary Elbląg is a multicultural city inhabited by people whose fate brought here after 1945. Over time, this diverse population has created an extremely creative local society, which rebuilds the old town with panache and ingenuity, while pursuing its port and economic ambitions.